National Academic Depository
About NAD :
The vision of National Academic Depository (NAD) is born out of an initiative to provide an online store house of all academic awards. National Academic Depository (NAD) is a 24X7 online store house of all academic awards viz.certificates, diplomas, degrees, mark-sheets etc. duly digitised and lodged by academic institutions / boards / eligibility assessment bodies. NAD not only ensures easy access to and retrieval of an academic award but also validates and guarantees its authenticity and safe storage.
NAD’s History :
The Union Cabinet has approved establishing a digital depository of academic awards to be known as National Academic Depository (NAD) on the pattern of securities depository in its meeting held on 27th October, 2016.
Consequent upon the approval of Cabinet, the Government in exercise of powers conferred under section 20(1) of University Grants Commission Act,1956 has designated University Grants Commission (UGC) as an authorised body to enter into a tripartite agreement on behalf of all Central Higher Educational Institutions (CHEIs), Institutions of National Importance (INIs) and Boards with the wholly owned subsidiaries of the depositories registered under SEBI Act, 1992, namely NSDL Database Management Limited (NDML) and CDSL Ventures Limited (CVL) initially for a period of three years for the purposes of establishment of NAD comprising of two interoperable digital depositories.
The UGC has signed a tripartite agreement with NSDL Database Management Limited (NDML) and CDSL Ventures Limited (CVL) for operationalising NAD. The academic institutions / boards / eligibility assessment bodies are required to select either of the two depositories for entering into legally enforceable agreement for utilizing services of NAD. Lodging, access, retrieval and validation of academic awards in the NAD will be primarily on the strength of this agreement.
The students and verification users are free to select either of the depositories to register on to NAD.
Features of NAD :
Further, NAD provides a feature of portability i.e. the users of NAD may switch among the depositories if they are not satisfied with the services rendered. Since, the depositories are inter-operable, the data would be automatically synced among the depositories, the user can seamlessly operate the same account with the other depository.
- Academic Awards in Digital format
- All Awards issued by Authorized AIs
- Awards stored forever
- Awards are digitally signed by AIs
- Authenticated records – eliminate the menace of
fake, forged Awards
- Aadhaar based identity preferred
- Privacy protected – Sharing of Awards only with the consent of the student
- Facilitate Data Analytics & Reports
NAD Coverage :
- Institutions Of National Importance
- Standalone Institutions of MHRD
- Central Universities
- State Public Universities
- Universities Recognized by UGC
- School Boards – Central & State
- Others Approved By GOI
NAD will help users of Academic Awards to:
- Digitally issue awards by (AIs) to students
- Validate the authenticity
- Provide safe storage
- Facilitate easy retrieval
How can Students Connect with NAD :
- Register on any Depository
- Students have to register on NSDL Database management limited (NDML)
- Aadhaar based registration supported by e-KYC or NAD ID based
- Student to submit Aadhaar / NAD ID to AI for verification and seeding in Award data
- NAD will inter-link (map) all Awards of a Student on the system
- View & Access all Awards Online at any time in single account
- Student can View / download digitally signed Awards, Request Printed copy of the Certificate, Approve / Reject request of any Verifier for access to his / her Certificate, Send copy of certificate to any verifier.
Steps for NAD Registration :
Students can Register by two ways. 1st one is Register with Aadhar Card and 2nd one is Register without Aadhar Card. Students can Choose Any one of this any follow the respected steps.
Facilities for College and Departments from NAD :
- Provide the information to the students regarding creation of NAD ID (Using Aadhaar/Non-Aadhaar) .
- Colleges/Departments have to arrange the print out submitted by students and their aadhaar in the same serial order as the serial , no. mentioned in the excel sheet .
- Provide awareness of NAD among students of respective Colleges/Departments.
- Students should be guided to create NAD ID through Aadhaar.
- Make it compulsory to the students to create NAD ID and submit the print out along with their aadhaar copy in the respective colleges/Departments or generate ID without aadhaar.
- Colleges/Departments have to submit following details of students in excel format duly signed by Principal of Colleges/Head of Departments along with the print out of the NAD ID/ acknowledgement No. and copy of aadhaar submitted by the students in their respective Colleges/Departments .
Benefits of NAD
For academic institutions
- Permanent and safe record of keeping all academic awards issued;
- No need for issuing duplicate academic awards, students can get it from NAD;
- Effective deterrence to fake and forged paper certificates;
- All academic awards verification needs can be addressed by NAD;
- Efficient, effective and transparent administration.
- Immediate availability of academic awards upon upload by Academic Institution
- Online, permanent record of academic awards
- No risk of losing, spoiling, damaging the academic awards
- Anytime, anywhere and convenient access to academic awards
For verification Users (Employer Companies, Banks etc.)
- Online, quick and reliable verification of academic awards (with prior consent of the student concerned)
- Access to authenticated copy of academic awards
- No risk of fake and forged Certificates.
- Reduction in cost, time and efforts for verification